club vagabond

dedicated to all of those who have passed through Leysin and the Vag before growing up ...




Saturday, May 31, 2008

totally irrelevant picture


I've been signing up friends via Facebook and discovered this brilliant Leysin group - I hate the Leysin Stairs of Death. Anyone who knows Leysin knows these bloody things, that link the Village to Feydey. I must have been up and down them a thousand times, a hundred of them with a damaged ligament in my foot (thanks to a fall on the Vag stairs!)

Incredibly I don't seem to have a photo of them - so you're stuck with this one of me in 1988 in typical pose, champagne in one hand and a knife in the other, on the Chalet Elisabeth balcony.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Blossom said...

ha ha i skied the stairs of death one day after going directly to the vag after a day ski instructing at the hotel chamois.
i was shit faced and flew across one of the intersecting streets and crashed into someones mercedes.. ripped my ski pants on the (breaking) tail lights.. ouch!

10:14 pm  
Blogger Tim Middleton said...

I spent the summer of 1966 as a bartender at the Vagabond. I was just out of the US Army, and now that I'm a geezer and a heart-attack alumnus those Leysin stairs are worth talking about. But they weren't for us at the time; we (all of us that summer were veterans of the same outfit in Kitzingen, Germany) went up and down them without a thought. I remember a girl who had asthma who had difficulty with them, and though my buddies and I were chain smoking Gaullois at the time, we didn't.

3:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home